Sea Grape Leaves

/
0 Comments

mary robinson:


A compilation of the dark green sea grape leaves
The black soil that birthed our starfruit tree
The glistening tar that marred our cul-de-sac

 I see her with a mason jar
Collecting the rocks and leaves
Pieces of the planet and the universe
To be carried with her, always.

Looking up into a vast blue sky,
The universe is mirrored back to my child eyes
Mason jars housing tadpoles and fireflies
Containing life, glittering light

My mind in time became like an ocean’s trench
A dark, deep blue
Vast, endless.
Like the sky from my youth

Everything I knew, everything I questioned
Floated just beneath the surface
Or far too deep
A scary journey into the unknown

My sun-drenched childhood was transported north
Sailing into adulthood,
My ocean, my sky became cold and numb

Like the way my fingers felt in the winter
Beneath the snow or through the wind
From the hole in the pocket of my pea coat. 

My fingers would feel so cold
Like they could just fall off 
And I wouldn't feel a thing. 

I could just fall off now,
Off and away from the bloodline
Dropping the glass jar of my universe

I could fall away from the tree
Like the sea grape leaves
Fall from it entirely,
And I wouldn't feel a thing. 


Image. 



You may also like